<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, August 06, 2005



Shortly after watching the extended version of The Return of the King at home with some friends earlier I rushed to the theaters to meet another friend to watch Tim Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I haven't had the chance to watch the earlier version so I had nothing to compare it with. Expectations weren't particularly high for this movie so I enjoyed it. It was a notch higher than the director's earlier works as this was very cartoonish and it was astonishing to watch actor Johnny Depp disappear into another role. I didn't like the song numbers though, I almost grimaced whenever one of those songs started in each particular moment and the preachy scene between Charlie and his family. Aside from that though it was a fun ride watching the chocolate factory, the glass elevator ride, the displaced building where Willy Wonka's father resides, the spoofing of old movie clichés showing different flags of the world superimposed on the protagonist to signify his or her travel, and the momentary lapse of reason whenever flasbacks occur. It was all candy as far as the eye can see and though it was, like I said before, a fun ride I wouldn't be taking it again as once is already enough.

* * Check out also the review in Hollywood Jesus for more insightful reactions to this great movie.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?