<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, June 10, 2007



I'm wondering why Disney's latest animation, Meet the Robinsons, wasn't marketed aggressively as the others (with the exception of the Robinson's Malls, 'nuff said) which automatically means this isn't going to be one of those flicks people would put in their must-watch list. A pity really considering the fact that this is one of THE best Disney movies in a long, long, long time. This was tons better than the resurgence of Disney flicks during the early 90's. Well just better than the lot at the least (at least nobody was singing).

So while everyone else was bent on catching Oceans 13 or FF: ROTSS I made my way inside the mall and plunked down some cash to watch the second-to-the-last showing of MTR. I also made sure I went in early to catch whatever upcoming movie trailers are interesting. Good thing I did too or else I wouldn't be able to catch the 1938 cartoon short, "Boat Builders." It was a surreal experience watching on the big screen something I knew from TV but at the same time I was perplexed. While I did enjoy the old Disney cartoon, in the back of my mind I was asking "what the heck has this got to do with the movie?" Only when I finished the movie and was sitting there basking in the afterglow of it all did the relevance of the cartoon short made sense. And boy did it ever! The story was beautifully rendered in 3D under the newly appointed chief creative officer, former Pixar chief, John Lasseter, is something that harks back to the traditional way dear old Walt did to oversee the process of cooking up a story. This reason alone is what makes this movie better than their output in the early 90s.

The characters were highly likable from the start, the animation is easy on the eyes, and the heart of the story centering around the themes of forgiveness, both for one's and the others' shortcomings was more than a welcome respite from previous movies that focused more on entertaining and not much else.

* Check out also the review in Hollywood Jesus for more insightful reactions to this great movie.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?