<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, February 15, 2008

Would serious cat breeders call me crazy for changing my stance about breeding whereas before I was all for neutering and spaying my pets and leaving the breeding part to those who have studied the breed and the genetics of their brood?

It all started when I bought the book Cats In Love by Hans Walter Silvester. Seeing the pictures of all these medium haired cats sparked a curiosity, since long haired cats are such a pain to maintain why not come up with medium haired cats* like this, this, this, this, or this? They're just as fluffy but the hairs won't get as much knots as their long haired cousins. I haven't decided on seriously joining the fray but I'm laying down the foundation, like the future queen pictured below, just in case I do decide to have planned breedings.

This four month old odd-eyed kitten has both a copper-eyed orange queen for a mother and a blue eyed pure white tom for a father. I'm still asking around about the incidence of getting odd-eyed colored kittens (according to this article, there are about 5% pure white cats out of the general cat population and only 15-40% of these pure white cats have one or two blue-eyes). We'll see.

* My take on it is as simple as crossing long haired domestics with short hairs and breeding the offspring back with long haired cats. I already have a half-Persian cat, I'm just waiting for a good looking Persian to test my theory.

Labels: , ,

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?