<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, September 29, 2008

Now I get it.


Here goes nothing...

After reading through the entire 416 pages of the graphic novel which I borrowed from my friend, Lee, yesterday, I finally got what the hullabaloo is all about. Whereas before I was so opposed to all the excitement and hype this movie was generating ("That's a batman rip-off!" "The Comedian? He doesn't even look funny!" "Silk Spectre?! What kinda name is that?" "Who's that blue guy?" "Booooring!") reading the graphic novel finally made me change my mind, or at the very least, understand where those who've already read the novel are coming from. In fact I now know why that smiley face button has blood splatter on it.

I totally loved the story, the characters (Rorschach and Nite Owl II stood out for me) and everything else despite the noise inside the venue (you'd think rock bands would, at least, reserve their set for a more appropriate venue, like say, far from the selling area. As in very far). With the images still fresh in my mind I went online to watch the movie trailer again and compare the actors against those artist Dave Gibbons had created in the comic. The scenes turned out to be extremely cool after seeing it coming from a more informed stance. Not that I'm raising any and all expectations after this, in fact I'm still leaving it at the "It's gonna suck, it's gonna suck! I just know it!" level.

People are split on what they think of the film based on the initial images being shown in the trailer. Now I heard that writer, Alan Moore couldn't care less about the movie and vows to spit venom all over it for months to come. Which comes as no surprise since he also said prior to the aforementioned statement that he finds, "film in its modern form to be quite bullying." But I do hope he changes his mind. I do hope that he would soften his stance actually see the movie with an open mind and criticize it based on its own merit. If it goes down in flames then so be it. If it works, then by all means write a statement of commendation to the production team. It's not like we haven't seen the other side of Mr. Moore before:


"The Simpsons" clip with Alan Moore, Art Spiegelman & Dan Clowes

He drove his point with his rant against Hollywood studios and greedy executives but then Spiegelman was also right in saying he has to lighten up too. After all, no man made institution's perfect. You just have to look really hard for the good things that crop up once in a while.

* On a related note, here's an interesting article regarding movie directors following the visuals of comic books closer than necessary: Watchmen Objections - Storytelling and the Storyboard By Hervé St-Louis

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?