Wednesday, February 27, 2008
There are a lot of things I would like to change with this strip I submitted to the paper, particularly panels 2 and 4. I would definitely do an overhaul of those two. I was set to do the strip earlier in the evening and the problem started when I suddenly realized I didn't do any research whatsoever on how to play Wii.
From the top of head I could somehow picture Wii players doing all sorts of poses as they engage in all sorts of games requiring whole body movement but of course I couldn't properly translate it on paper without any reference. Fast forward much later in the evening and early in the morning when I already got the poses down pat (which wasn't really any different from playing other game consoles) that I was struggling with the words. I forgot to write everything that came to mind. The brilliant and witty banter was totally lost. I finished everything past three in the morning tired and sleepy from the work that you see above. Gaaaahhh!
Tuesday, February 26, 2008
They were young.
They were in love.
They were clumsy.
But they still had kittens.
Be responsible enough to neuter or spay if you don't want unwanted pregnancies.
These kittens are up for adoption to responsible, cat-loving homes.
Sunday, February 24, 2008
PARC or PAWS Animal Rehabilitation Center clinic is located along Aurora Blvd, Katipunan Valley, Loyola Heights, Quezon City (you can view map here)
Please take note of the following:
1. First come, first served. No reservations of slots. However, pre-registration by calling 475-1688 is required so that our veterinarian will know how many are coming and what time.
2. Cats must not be fed or given water for 12 hours prior to the operation.
3. Cats must be in secure carriers when brought to PARC. They will be placed in the same carriers right after the operation, and must be taken home by their owners after the operation.
4. This service is primarily being offered to families with multiple rescued "native" cats who cannot afford regular clinic rates for neutering.
Thanks to our Christmas donors for your generous donations - enabling us to offer this Free Neutering to families who need it the most.
Take advantage of this while you still can.
Saturday, February 23, 2008
Coming this April, the 8th Beerkada book.
Every copy you buy comes with a free one-of-a-kind original sketchcard like these samples by Ryan O.:
There will be a total of 100 sketchcards for the first edition which comes free when you get your Beerkada book 8 signed by the creator. Unahan na lang.
Visit www.beerkada. net for more updates!
I'll also be contributing five artworks for the sketchcard thingie, that's why.
Friday, February 22, 2008
WAKE UP!!! This is just plain quarreling among thieves, people! It's the media's job to hype the story to sell more papers or drive up their ratings. Can't we for once, again, think for ourselves on what's good for the country?! Do you think driving GMA and her advisers out of Malacanang solve everything?! Do you really think you'll be satisfied with whoever will replace her? For how long? I bet you all will be up in arms again demanding the replacement step down for not being any better than his predecessor. I do agree with Carlos Celdran with what he posted in his blog about this whole mess:
Don't drag me into this mess by taking any side in the matter. Each of them is not better than the other. And the Catholic Church, who's supposed to guide their members to think and make decisions based on supposed Biblical principles is no better as some Bishops like Lingayen Arcbishop Oscar Cruz thinks his time is better spent making press releases for anti-government rallies instead of calling for sobriety. So did Fr. Manoling Francisco, SJ who used the pulpit in the recent La Salle mass as his soapbox for saying only Lozada told the truth as opposed to the others as guilty of lying, bribing, kidnapping, obstruction of justice, among others when the investigation wasn't yet finished. Wouldn't it better if he used the pulpit to chide the greedy parties from both sides of the party instead of implying himself to be a judge voicing God's opinion in the matter? No wonder a lot of Filipino Catholics turn away disillusioned with their faith."But please don't tell me that all the politicians pursuing this issue aren't little piglets either (below). Getting little greasy slices of pork from projects like the NBN is modus operandi in ANY administration - it's no secret to us and it's no secret to the senators doing the grilling. It's been the modus operandi for decades! Where else would ANY administration get money to do things like, oh, give to senators and congressmen for their election campaigns? Senators and Congressmen don't come for free, ya know. Tip: instead of looking at the noisy ones, let's try and count who are the quiet ones in Senate and Congress. Perhaps they are quiet because they already were given their pieces of the pork. And it's only the squealing ones that are upset because they didn't get theirs. Hence, if it's all just piggies fighting piggies over pieces of pork that they just pass on to other piggies, then it's just politics in the end. Period. Philippine politics and governance is sick, that is as obvious as obvious can be. But will this Jun Lozada scandal be the catalyst for the great changes that need to be made? Ha! Great changes will be done in this society through small ways and on a person to person basis. Paradigm shifts don't happen through Senate hearings. Trust me, this "moral revolution" WILL NOT be televised." (More...)
Sobriety, people. Don't let opinions sway your decisions, most especially those coming from the local news media.
* Picture copied from the Project Retrospective Facilitation Service article, "How is your project going?"
Thursday, February 21, 2008
How To Give A Cat A Pill
1. Pick up cat and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth, pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth & swallow.
2. Retrieve pill from floor & cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm & repeat process.
3. Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away.
4. Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm, holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.
5. Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse from garden.
6. Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.
7. Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.
8. Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.
9. Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink 1 beer to take taste away. Apply Band-Aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.
10. Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill. Open another beer. Place cat in cupboard, and close door on to neck, to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.
11. Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges. Drink beer. Fetch bottle of scotch. Pour shot, drink. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus shot. Apply whiskey compress to cheek to disinfect. Toss back another shot. Throw Tee shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.
12. Call fire department to retrieve the damn cat from the tree across the road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil wrap.
13. Tie the little bastard's front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table, find heavy-duty pruning gloves from shed. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of filet steak. Be rough about it. Hold head vertically and pour 2 pints of water down throat to wash pill down.
14. Consume remainder of scotch. Get spouse to drive you to the emergency room, sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home to order new table.
15. Arrange for SPCA to collect mutant cat from hell and call local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters.
How To Give A Dog A Pill
1. Wrap it in bacon.
2. Toss it in the air.
By the way, I will be finally getting the odd-eyed kitten two weeks from now.
Rabbit Fire (1950)
This is one of my favorite Looney Tunes episodes which inspired the Sith Season, Jedi Season artwork I did for the New Worlds Convention years ago.
Devil May Hare (1953)
This is also one my favorites because of the Tazmanian Devil's first appearance. This was way, way before he was referred to as "Taz." Why can't they do cartoon these days with humor parallel to this?
Wednesday, February 20, 2008
I'm still having trouble editing the dialogue on these original strips I submit to the paper. There's also the problem of editing the illustrations inside each panel, like for this particular strip I think I drew and redrew the 2nd panel six times because I wasn't satisfied with the original idea. After I got that part settled I still wasn't happy with how the third and last panel turned out. Of course, by then it was 2 am, a couple of hours before deadline and I was still drawing every thing.
Friday, February 15, 2008
It all started when I bought the book Cats In Love by Hans Walter Silvester. Seeing the pictures of all these medium haired cats sparked a curiosity, since long haired cats are such a pain to maintain why not come up with medium haired cats* like this, this, this, this, or this? They're just as fluffy but the hairs won't get as much knots as their long haired cousins. I haven't decided on seriously joining the fray but I'm laying down the foundation, like the future queen pictured below, just in case I do decide to have planned breedings.
(according to this article, there are about 5% pure white cats out of the general cat population and only 15-40% of these pure white cats have one or two blue-eyes). We'll see.
* My take on it is as simple as crossing long haired domestics with short hairs and breeding the offspring back with long haired cats. I already have a half-Persian cat, I'm just waiting for a good looking Persian to test my theory.